Part 3 of the course TX of Feeding/Speech/Mouth Function: Pediatrics provides participants with information on components and modifications of feeding and speech treatment sessions; appropriate breast, bottle, and spoon feeding; appropriate cup and straw drinking; adequate food and liquid manipulation and management, as well as literature-based feeding and speech milestones. Participants learn to incorporate the treatment of feeding and speech into activities of daily living (ADLs) that parents and care providers can use with children as part of their daily routines.
Upon completion of Part 3, participants will:
- Identify appropriate treatment session components and modifications.
- Identify appropriate breast and bottle feeding, spoon feeding, cup and straw drinking techniques, as well as how to encourage a child to take appropriate food bites and chew/manage food adequately.
- Identify literature-based feeding developmental milestones, as well as an age-appropriate food and liquid progression.
- Practice feeding techniques that can be safely taught to parents and care providers.
- Identify literature-based speech and communication developmental milestones.
- Identify the components of intelligible speech which help improve daily living skills.
Duration: 7.5 hours
CE Credit: .75 ASHA/AOTA CEUs
8:00 Treatment Session Components/Suggestions/Modifications - (60 minutes)
9:00 Infant Breast/Bottle Feeding - (30 minutes)
9:30 Spoon Feeding/Cup and Straw Drinking - (30 minutes)
10:00 Age-Appropriate Food/Liquid Progression - (30 minutes)
10:45 Group Experience: Feeding Technique Practice - (45 minutes)
11:30 Working through “Picky Eating/Drinking” - (30 minutes)
1:00 Typical Feeding Development (Detailed) - (90 minutes)
2:30 Typical Speech/Communication Development (Detailed) - (30 minutes)
3:15 Intelligible Speech as an ADL (Strategies for SLPs/OTs/Others) - (75 minutes)
4:30 Speech Treatment X-Rays/Videos - (30 minutes)
5:00 End of Session/Sign-Out
Total Hours 7.5 hours
Financial: Diane Bahr is the author of two books (listed above) for which she receives royalty payments and the co-owner of Ages and Stages®, LLC for which she is paid.
Nonfinancial: Diane Bahr is a volunteer board member for the Oral Motor Institute Study Group and a volunteer advisor for Future Horizons, Inc.